Sunday, March 19, 2017

Hilton Head Getaway Includes Birding Adventure

An end of Spring Break treat was this weekend's getaway a couple hours down the South Carolina coast to Hilton Head Island.

Among the abundant visitor material, Alesia came across the Mitchelville Civil War era freed slave historic site. I'll detail its interesting and important story later, but am posting now to get out a couple bird photos I took today at the Mitchellville site.  Wilson's Plover or Least Sandpiper is the question gnawing at me. Or maybe these birds are something else. I again turned to my go-to bird identification source: whatbird.com.

After posting these two photos on the site's bird identification forum, I soon had a few responses, each of which told me these birds are Least Sandpipers.









Post a Comment