Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Cardinals and Hummingbirds Grace Backyard Feeders

My backyard bird feeders have been staying busy this summer. It's been all I can do to keep the tubes and suet holders stocked!
Northern Cardinals (a pair seen here), Carolina Chickadees, Tufted Titmice, Downy and Red-belled Woodpeckers are the most common visitors.

I was sitting on the patio recently and photographed this handsome male Northern Cardinal.
I see these all the time around my yard and have photographed many over the years, but they remain one of the truly striking and beautiful birds around. And should never be taken for granted.
I really like the sharpness of this closeup shot.
How fine are the short red feathers around his neck and head!
I was also excited to get some images of the male Ruby-throated Hummingbird.
This feeder is on our back patio hanging near the door. My wife had mentioned seeing the male come around recently. Mostly, we had been visited by the females of this tiny and speedy species.

You can see some of the red around the bird's throat or neck area in these photos.
I took these pictures while sitting on my back porch. Once I spot a Hummingbird at the feeder, I zoom in and focus on the plastic fixture that holds the liquid these birds crave.

Then I just wait in hopes the bird flies into my camera frame and perches for a moment or two while it pokes its long bill into the food.

It takes patience, but on this day I was rewarded with some nice images of one of the tougher birds to photograph.

No comments: