Wednesday, May 8, 2019

Old Golf Course's Wonderful New Purpose

I was pleasantly surprised recently to drive into the nearby King's Grant neighborhood to find that the long-closed golf course is finally open again.

No, it not a new and improved golf course, but a wonderful new nature park.

The venerable golf course, which was one of the older ones in the Charleston area, shut down maybe 10 years ago.  It has been a protracted decade or so of legal issues, development stops and starts, and now finally- and thankfully- 38-acres of the former 18 hole golf course is now a lovely park for King's Grant residents.

The Charleston paper last month ran this article that hit on the latest developments. The headline says the park will be open to the public. But this sign at the entrance says it is only for King's Grant homeowners.



I am not a resident but I have long followed the odyssey of what would happen next to the large property that has parts nestled along the Ashley River.   I would occasionally play golf there years ago.  It was close by and the fees were a bargain compared to other area courses.

In 2012 I wrote a letter to the editor to the Charleston Post and Courier suggesting that a nature park would be a great idea here.  Check out that letter here.  





This past Sunday I went over to check out the park. I walked about a mile and a half along the paved path.

There are benches all over the grounds. Small plaques have the names of past and former residents who have supported the park by sponsoring a bench.

The benches are spread around the acreage in a very thoughtful manner.






It's a very pastoral setting. Very quiet and peaceful.

Once the grass was very long but no longer.







The former cart paths are still in place and you can envision where the tee boxes used to be where golfers would hit their first shot.

The mound on the left side of this photo was once the tee box for either the 17th or 18th hole.








Over the years, since the golf course closed, I would come here, camera in hand. The birding was often really good, as the grounds slowly went back to nature.

This is blog post from 2012 featuring a few bird photos from an outing then.  I scored several "lifer" birds at King's Grant- birds I had never seen or photographed before.








And, today, the site is still back to nature, but in a more controlled way.

I didn't photograph it (should have) but another feature is a covered picnic area with grills, restrooms and a small parking lot.








There is still some Ashley River views along the meandering trail.  One bench offers a great view to sit and watch the occasional boat speed by.










The birding on this day was good.  I saw six to eight different types, including this Little Blue Heron.

I was struck by how blue its bill appeared. I do not think I have seen a Little Blue before with such a vibrant blue beak! Must be mating season.

Here's an interesting article on bird plumage that explains some of the mysteries of plumage and changing bird colors.



I spied this Cattle Egret along the large front pond of the park.  No cattle in the area so I was a bit surprised to see this guy (or gal).










This Anhinga, when I first saw it across the pond, had its wings spread in that distinctive pose shared by its close brethren the Cormorant.

The big pond is a good spot for bird watching but do keep an eye out for alligators because they are around.







From some distance I photographed a Great Egret.

That long neck is something, right?









As I walked around the park I could hear many birds. In the trees I captured images of a few feathered friends, including this Red-winged Blackbird.

I recall regularly seeing this bird back when King's Grant was still a golf course.






Finally, here is an Eastern Kingbird.  This was a "lifer" bird for me at King's Grant years ago during one of my post golf course forays.

You can't see it that clearly but this bird is distinctive by the white color at the end of its tail feathers.







It was nice on this pleasant Sunday afternoon to see people enjoying the new park.

There may eventually be some new housing on the former golf course. If and when that happens hopefully the homes won't be too close to the park.







Congratulations to the King's Grant community for this fabulous new addition!

No comments: