Friday, January 24, 2020

January Bird Bounty

The new year and the recent cold spell have created a busy time at my bird feeders. I had been noticing the increased activity.

Finally, on Martin Luther King Day I spent some time seeing if I could get some nice camera captures.

This photo shows several Chipping Sparrows (a "tournament" is the collective name- who knew?) and an Eastern Bluebird on my rather elaborate bird buffet.





I was seated on my porch maybe 12 yards away from the feeders. I used a monopod to keep my camera as steady as possible.

The Bluebird and Sparrow perched like this for minutes, making for an interesting perspective from where I was sitting.






 The bark butter from Wild Birds Unlimited (Mt. Pleasant store) was in demand. This Red-bellied Woodpecker took a turn.

I like these shots because they show why this bird is called red-bellied. It does have a redhead too, but the Red-headed Woodpecker is another type, which I’ve also photographed a few times out in nature mostly.

One time I spotted the redhead in my backyard. The red-bellied is a regular here and often very vocal before it drops in for a bite.















This is the Red-headed Woodpecker. I took this picture at Dixie Plantation (now called the Stono Preserve) owned by the College of Charleston in Hollywood, S.C.

Now you see why it has its name!

By the way, all of my bird links are to the site of whatbird.com. I love this site for its excellent bird identification forum, which I have used many times over the years to learn types of birds I have photographed that have stumped me. I have many bird books and use online means, but still need some help time to time. Whatbird.com always comes through, and usually very quickly too with accurate responses from fellow bird lovers.




This Yellow-throated Warbler was a nice surprise to see you on this day. Not a regular this one, but I have photographed this type at least a few times before.

According to whatbird.com, a group of Yellow-throated Warblers can be called a "confusion."
Who comes up with these names!






Speaking of confusion! This Bluebird was having a time trying to eat some bark butter. It’s a little big for the short perch that’s part of the feeder.

I have seen other Bluebirds on the landing. But this one couldn’t get proper footing, so to speak.













The petite Carolina Chickadee has no problem fitting on the stand.

Yes, you are all that, little friend!








This Bluebird was able to perch on the bark butter feeder, no sweat.









 A few other favorite pictures from my 20 minute patio shoot.

This Pine Warbler was keen on suet. Suet and birdseed I usually buy at nearby Lowes or Walmart.  With so many feeders, I do need to restock regularly.

 Mourning Doves can be bullies sometimes to the smaller birds, throwing their weight around.
A Chipping Sparrow is comfortable on a seed tube.









The Bluebirds I’ve noticed are coming more to my feeders. They used to keep their distance. Happy to provide some sustenance to these lovely creatures. I also have two bird baths nearby that Bluebirds and other feathered friends enjoy.

I wasn't sure of this until I checked, but there is Western Bluebird.






Old Kings Grant Golf Course Park



My camera would also find Eastern Bluebirds at this location not far from my neighborhood. Alesia and I went for a walk at what is today a pretty nature park, with parts of it along the Ashley River.










I was excited too seeing the Little Blue Heron here.



An Anhinga was also by the large pond at the front of the park. 

It was a treat to see the little Eastern Phoebe on that rail where I had photographed the Bluebird earlier
It was fun to get back to birding on this fine winter day! And all respect to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr for all that he did and gave (including his life) for our great country.  




No comments: