Saturday, December 19, 2020

Bluebird House Hunting?

 

I observed this Eastern Bluebird checking out two of my backyard birdhouses. Both seem to be vacant now so this male Bluebird may be seeking to claim one for the winter or even looking ahead to the spring for birthing babies time. 






Yes, I’m talking about you! 





He also stopped at this other house for a look-see. 






There’s a third one, the newest, that he did not check out, at least that I noticed on this day. I purchased this from a man who sells birdhouses at his home along the highway leading to Edisto Island. I’ve seen the display for years and always wanted to stop. 

Finally, I did and found this handmade red one for $15. I gave the man a $20 bill and said keep the change. 





The Bluebird then perched here for a few minutes, perhaps pondering the houses he just visited. 

Better get input from the Mrs. would be my advice young man! 





With the cooler weather, the feeders have been getting plenty of business. Several Chipping Sparrows and our friend Mr. Eastern Bluebird sample the amble buffet of seed, suet and the ever-popular Bark Butter (only available at Wild Bird Unlimited stores and their online sites).




The Chipping Sparrow species is very abundant year-round in my backyard. 






This Pine Warbler was nice to see with its mustard yellow coloring. 







This is a cylindrical feeder I bought at Wild Birds Unlimited (Mount Pleasant) earlier this year. This was when the state was still mostly shut down by the coronavirus pandemic. I ordered this feeder and a few other things online, then picked up everything curbside at the store. 

Today most stores and restaurants in the area are open and accessible inside with masks required. 


Finally, a couple shots of a Downy Woodpecker sampling suet. It’s always neat to capture this petite bird’s vibrant red patch on the male’s head. 

No comments: