Thursday, April 8, 2021

Chesapeake Bay Birding (and One Easter Bunny)

Easter time was our first getaway trip since a visit to Hilton Head last summer. It was nice to take in some different scenery (even Pedro at South of the Border!) and great to see family again. The Virginia side of the Chesapeake Bay, where my parents live, is a pretty, quiet place with opportunities to satisfy my inner birder. 

At the folks’ house, I need to go no farther than their backyard to see this Osprey platform. It has been here for years and my father had a hand in getting it erected. During this visit, a family of Osprey was in residence. The parents were still working on the nest. A few times I saw one swoop down to a nearby yard to grab a branch or twig. Pinecones could also be seen on the structure, though as my father noted they wouldn’t be too comfortable as bedding for the big birds. 

It is always challenging to shoot from a great distance and to get good shots of birds in flight. Here are my best  images...








Next creek over from the marina close to my parents’ property is another Osprey platform. It surprises me how close to land this one was built. The feathered family doesn’t seem to mind though as this area seems very quiet most of the time. 


To follow are more birds and ducks spotted in this remote neck of the woods called the Northern Neck. 


Common Loons (male above and female below). These diving ducks appeared out of nowhere a short distance from the shore while I was photographing the Ospreys on their platform. 


The Loons (aka the Great Northern Diver) were a challenge to capture because they frequently dive under the water (up to 200 feet deep-wow!) and I had to be quick to focus the camera when and where they reappeared. 


Buffleheads, another diving duck, on the move in the bay and the marina 



 Snowy Egret- As I stood on the dock at the marina I noticed this lovely bird up in a tree to my right.



European Starling- a nice encounter to see this bird brought to America in the early 1890s by someone who wanted this country to have all of the birds mentioned in Shakespeare’s works. Close to 100 birds were brought over by this industrialist, including the European Starling. 


This is a before and after photo processing duo using the snapseed app


Northern Mockingbird- Picked a pretty pear tree to perch


Blue Jay- its tail feathers looked white but that was just a sun reflection. The whatbird.com site describes one of the jay's calls as "thief, thief, thief," A bird watch dog?  I like it!  


Eastern Bluebird- I spotted this one through the window on this same perch a few different days.




Great visit, great bird (and one cute rabbit- my Dad recognized it saying they've had discussions before lol!). love this area where my parents have lived now for 30 years. 

No comments: