Tuesday, April 9, 2024

10 Year Anniversary: My “In the Arms of Angels” Book

 

Wow!  Ten years ago this week my “In the Arms of Angels” Magnolia Cemetery book was released! This first signing at the cemetery was a good omen of so many great experiences to come, meeting so many people (kindred spirits!), giving many presentations and numerous book signings around the Lowcountry, not to mention my five years teaching at College of Charleston my “Beyond the Grave” First Year Experience course. This book and that class would inspire my 2022 book, “Stories from the Underground: The Churchyards of Charleston.” I have several talks and a podcast coming up this spring and summer and all my books are available on Amazon.


This Facebook post appeared in my “Memories” to alert me to this 10-year anniversary. I remember being contacted ahead of the first official book event. The group of gals was driving from Anderson to Charleston and wanted, as part of their Holy City visit, to see if I could meet them at Magnolia Cemetery so they could have me sign my new book for them. 

Of course I will! 









About a week later I held the first book signing for my new book. Longtime Magnolia Cemetery superintendent Beverly Donald (pictured) helped organize and promote the event. Beverly was very helpful with my research and I, in fact, dedicated the book to her and to my parents as well. 

Beverly recently retired as head of the cemetery after more than 40 years of service. Enjoy your retirement, it's well deserved! 




My book publicity efforts included booking (pun intended) an appearance on WCIV-TV's "Lowcountry Live" live program. I was interviewed by Tessa Spencer who since this April 2014 event became the main anchor at Charleston's ABC affiliate. 








The Facebook "memory" anniversary notices keep popping up! This is a post I did on April 13, 2014 about a signing I did at College of Charleston later in the week. 

This is the author photo I used in the book, taken by my lovely wife Alesia. 

No comments: