Sunday, October 13, 2024

Home Talk a Neat Treat!

The calendar finally flipped to Oct. 1 meaning I would finally give my talk at Coosaw Creek Country Club. 

The “Meet the Author” event was originally set for early August but was postponed due to Tropical Storm Debby. The week before the new date, Hurricane Helene struck. The Charleston area got off easy from Helene compared to other parts of South Carolina not to mention North Carolina, Georgia, and Tennessee.


The clubhouse dining room was set up nicely for my talk and for the few dozen neighbors who RSVPed. light appetizers were served before I took to the podium. 

It was a good experience to speak to an audience of friends and neighbors! 




I delivered my “Tales of a Taphophile” PowerPoint, adding a part about the Ladson family, due to our neighborhood's proximity to Ladson and Ladson Road. 

The first Charleston Ladson, John, came here in 1679 from Barbados by way of England where he was born. Some Barbados men were granted large tracts of land in the Carolina Province and would become very prosperous with their rice plantations and enslaved African laborers. The Ladsons became very wealthy and prominent Charlestonians.


I signed and sold several books after my talk including copies of “Stories from the Underground: The Churchyards of Charleston” and “In the Arms of Angels: Magnolia Cemetery- Charleston’s Treasure of History, Mystery and Artistry.” 

The Ladson story is in the Charleston churchyards book. 



Many thanks to Ruth Norton for suggesting the “Meet the Author” event and to Coosaw Creek Country Club GM Chris Mitchell for inviting me and having such a nice AV and seating arrangement. Dan Montero, the club’s food and beverage director, made everything work just right. 

And thanks and ❤️ to Alesia for her help, support and photography. 

I'll have a table at the upcoming Coosaw Arts & Crafts Fair. It will be held Saturday, Nov. 2 from 9 a.m.-2 p.m.

No comments: