Sunday, August 30, 2026

Summer Sensations- Plants Thriving in the Heat

 

While I regularly wilt in the recent weeks of high heat and humidity, plants and flowers outside our house have never looked better. They are stimulated by what many humans find oppressive. Lots of rain in recent days has helped them too.  

Our many sago palms are in full glory. July and August seem to be their time to shine, though look consistently good year-round. 









These two sago palms are new to our yard, as is the bigger one below. Neighbors did some landscaping work and decided to dig them up and not keep them. They posted on our neighborhood Facebook site that they were free to whoever wanted the trio, and I snatched them up. I replanted the two small ones in a pine straw bed in front of our house and put the large one in the back. Hopefully they will flourish in these new digs. Pun intended. 



I’ve long been fond of colorful, tropical caladium plants. Knowing how they do so well in heat and humidity, I buy several in June when they go on sale to pot in both the back and front yards. 









This pot has a fresh coat of green paint. Peace lilies are a species I recently discovered through purchases at SC State’s arboretum. They do well for me both outside and inside. 


As part of my SC State TV production class last year, I produced a public service announcement about SC State's new arboretum. Check it out here


Peace lilies seem hardy and show great survivability. 


The peace lilies I have indoors become droopy from time to time. But after a day outside, they usually spring back to life. 





This red-leafed plant has been doing especially well this summer. I can’t tell you what it is right now but will try to find out. 




Boston ferns in hanging baskets are a spring and summer mainstay for us.



Here are a few more plants that are also doing well amid the heat, humidity and rain. 




I'm no green thumb, but I try to keep things looking nice with the plants we have inside and out. 

No comments: