Monday, September 28, 2026

Hooded Warbler Surprise!


I was recently reminded why I need to be vigilant about the bird camera in our backyard. Now that I’m back in the school routine, it’s easy to go days without checking the Vico Nature app on my iPad. A couple weeks ago when I checked the cameera and found the battery had died a few days earlier and needed to be charged. I’ve have had this bird cam for almost two years.  Before that I had another model. 

To go some days without recording bird activity can mean missing something new, different, and/or unusual. Well, it was all of the above at around 7 a.m. on Sept. 14, the day the battery would die. 


What I saw on my iPad in the app stunned me. I knew right away that this was a new bird for me, a lifer bird right here in my backyard. Another app I use, Picture Bird, told me this is a Hooded Warbler. Well named he is for the black coloring around his face. This still shot comes from this video clip. The brief video is next...



The Hooded Warbler is common to the Southeast United States, but for me this is the first time. And I haven’t seen one since, with my bird cam charged and recording many birds in the almost three weeks since this visit. A friend says he has seen them in the area at the Francis Beidler Forest Sanctuary west of Charleston. Happy for the visit, Hooded Warbler! Come back anytime for the grape jelly you seem to like. 

A few days after the Hooded Warbler first-time, one-time visit, the bird cam recorded another surprise, a Baltimore Oriole. For several years now, Orioles have become regulars during the fall season. The surprise was how early they have started coming for the jelly. 



Since Sept. 17, Orioles have been to our feeders on a daily basis. They have been females, which is interesting. I’ve yet to see a male with his distinctive black head and back. Here are some photos of the male from a blog post I did in January 2023. 

Here are two recent clips of the female Baltimore Oriole. 



I hope the males will eventually turn up. Maybe the females will alert them that the coast is clear. It’s safe, and the grape jelly is bountiful. 


Our buffet has been serving other types of birds. Here is a Pretty Pine Warbler at the top and a gorgeous Northern Cardinal in the bottom left of the frame. 






Do you know this bird? It’s a Brown Thrasher. I’m not sure if it enjoys eating jelly, but it sure stepped in it.

Here's the video clip...




Tufted Titmouse eyeing the grape jelly. This bird is easily identified by the poofed-up feathers on its head. 

I may add more birds to this post in the days and weeks ahead.  Maybe the Hooded Warbler will return! 

No comments: