Friday, January 15, 2021

A New Lease on Life!



I usually don't post about my personal life but the hip surgery I had on Jan. 11 was monumental for me and hopefully will mark a new lease on life. 

As project in one of my SC State University classes I'm asking the students to also post and speak about an important day in their lives. 

It will be interesting to see what the young people choose to feature.  They are to talk about the experience using their cell phone's voice memo app.  I did so to talk about my surgery. Here is why this day this week was so important to the rest of my life! 

Click here to listen to my two-minute talk about my surgery. 
(Music selection "Morning" is courtesy of the free music site Incompetech).

Note: To get this audio file on Blogger I first uploaded it to Soundcloud. This involved starting a new, free account with the service. 


I used my iPhone 7's voice memo app to record myself. Then used the file's share tool to email it to myself.  Blogger does not have the ability to directly post audio files (this one is an M4A file), so the step involving Soundcloud was necessary (this after researching other ways to post audio to Blogger). No big deal now that I know how to do it and can share this knowledge with the students. 

Here are some other photos related to my hip surgery.  


Charleston Surgery Center is where the operation took place. It is located in the growing Nexton community near Summerville. It has only been open for a few years. 






Dr. Brodie McKoy (a CofC graduate BTW) was recommended to me by a friend who had hip surgery last year. I was very fortunate to learn about McKoy through my friend because I wasn't sure at the time what to do about this growing problem. My friend Gary raved about Dr. McKoy and I could see the progress Gary made getting back on the tennis court, so I decided to call the good doctor. That was last summer, in July maybe. 


This visual shows a bad hip affected by arthritis  (left) on the right side of the hip, then the image (right) of an artificial joint and ball that replace the affected area, making movement again smooth and pain-free (I hope!). 



This is another good visual showing the hip’s arthritic deterioration. I took this photo in one Dr. McKoy’s rooms during a follow-up visit. 


The big bandage I left the surgery center with was taken off two days later when I had my first physical therapy at Atlas Physical Therapy in North Charleston. The PT guy took this photo to send Dr. McKoy. I asked him to send it to me also. See a photo of the PT crew below. 

I was surprised and impressed by how clean the incision looks. A clear bandage covers it and I'm good to let it get wet in the shower. Dr. McKoy does great work!  

I'll be back for the right side hip replacement with him in May probably after the school year ends. 





This has been my life since Monday's surgery. Feet elevated, taking lots of medicine, and trying to relax and rest, while also starting to perform some PT exercises.

I've had a few rough nights due I think to the mix of meds. The hip wound pain is subsiding and my stomach is feeling better. I'm looking forward to walking better and having back the range of motion that I've been missing for a while now.  

(Below) A had the chance to see my new titanium hip device during a follow-up appointment with Dr. McKoy (pictured). I call the device Rod. And he’s a real hipster ha! 

Right hip surgery is scheduled for May 10. I will definitely know what to expect second time around. 



Receiving a temporary handicapped parking permit has helped greatly to get in and out of stores and other places. Also below is how my scar looks six weeks after surgery. 

I get to do it all over again May 10 when my right hip gets replaced. I’m looking forward and not looking forward to that date! 




I can't say enough about the great care I've received at Atlas Physical Therapy!  The facility on Rivers Avenue is convenient from my home. Even better, the crew is very knowledgeable on stretching and strengthening exercises and techniques, as well as other medical and fitness issues. 


Dr. Ross Curnett (left) founded and owns the three Atlas Charleston-area locations. Next to him is Diane O'Brien and to my left is Stephen McGuigan. Both Ross and Stephen received undergraduate degrees at the College of Charleston. More on their backgrounds and credentials here. 


As I update this post on May 8 I am just two days away from my right hip replacement surgery. Alesia and I will be at the surgery center bright and early Monday morning at 6:15. 


Monday, May 10, 2021- I’m back at the Charleston Surgery Center for right hip replacement. Again, things went without a hitch and soon I’ll be again walking without a hitch or limp in my step (I hope). Oh, so corny. 


X-ray photos from my surgery follow up visit with Dr. McKoy. I have the matching set up titanium devices now. 






There have been some hitches so far post-surgery. I’ve had some nausea. Glad I had this special bag with me in the car yesterday while running some errands with Alesia. I think you know what is in the bag. I have also developed a persistent case of hiccups. From what the doctor’s office says this is a reaction to the Oxycodone pain medicine. Well, no more of that. I’m on non-opioid pain pills now. I had hiccups after the January surgery but it was “only” for several miserable hours. 


I’m back on the sofa recovering from surgery. Tilly and our other cats are comforting. And Alesia is helping me greatly as head nurse. 



Eleven days after surgery I was more than up for a graveyard research and photo outing. This is part of my latest book project. First Scots Presbyterian Church’s graveyard is where this photo was taken by a fellow taphophile (lover of graveyards) I met there named Jayne. 

July 6, 2021 Update: I was excited to show Dr. McKoy and the PT crew how I can now cross my legs. I was not sure if I’d be able to do this again! I’ve been doing lengthy bike rides a few times a week, going to the gym and exercising at home. Even hit tennis balls with Alesia yesterday. On Independence Day we had a very nice and patriotic time at Edisto Beach.  🇺🇸 




December 2021 Update- I have so much to be grateful for this holiday season. My health at the end of this year is so much better than a year ago. Praise the Lord! 


It was great to play tennis with Joseph recently- and to be able to move freely and not be in pain during or after we hit! 





1 comment:

DR. Sandeep Yadav said...

Thank you for the helpful content.

If you are looking for Hip replacement surgery then we have well experienced Hip Replacement Surgeon in Jaipur