Tuesday, February 16, 2021

Winter Birding Highlighted by Oriole Visits



He’s a long way from Maryland! But truth be told, Baltimore Orioles have become common sights in the Southeast. 

A neighbor who lives only several hundred yards from me (as the Crow flies) has been attracting them to his backyard feeders for years. 




The key I learned from him is grape jelly. Orioles have a sweet tooth for jam. So I recently put out some jelly and sure enough the last several days one has come to my backyard. 

The Orioles also seem to like the seed food seen in this photo (taken through my kitchen window) but this one may have been trying to stay out the rain too.



This picture shows the black dish that holds the grape jelly. Isn’t the Oriole just as spectacular looking from behind? I think so. 

Yesterday I took video of an Oriole at my feeder during the rain. I put the video on my YouTube channel. It’s 20 seconds. Check it out. 




I definitely plan to keep the jelly out there and hopefully these lovely birds will keeping coming for a while. In fact as I write this it’s reminding me to go add some jam now.  



As I've been working on this post a few Facebook memories have come up of previous encounters with Orioles in my backyard. The above photo I posted in February 2015 and then another previous Facebook posting of an Oriole I did from February 2018 came up. Tell you what, this bird is consistent with the time of year he comes to visit my yard!  


Next, I want to share other winter backyard diners at my multi- feeder buffet. The Hermit Thrush, who I do not recall ever having in my yard before, has been hanging out here for a few months now. The above link is to a blog post I need not long ago about this curiously named critter. 



Yellow-rumpled Warblers have been recent regulars. They are affectionately called Butter Butts for the spot of yellow on their...butts. Can’t see that in these two photos but if I get such a rearview image I’ll post it. 


A YRW (another nickname) stretches for some seed.


Just added- Yay! I got the “Butter Butt” photo I’ve been seeking! 


Downy Woodpecker- an old reliable, this bird pecks on the trees and the packed seeds and suet at the feeders


Northern Cardinal and Carolina Wren 


Carolina Wren


American Robin- These and the Red-winged Blackbirds have been flocking to my neighborhood the past couple weeks. I’m not sure the reason why- they do like the red holly berries in my yard- but I know they have done this in past winters here. 


Female Red-winged Blackbird 


Male Red-winged Blackbird


Female Red-winged Blackbird 


Red-winged Blackbirds have been invading my neighborhood in recent weeks. 

No comments: