Monday, October 24, 2022

Booked Weekend!

 

Alesia and I had a busy weekend that was booked with book signing events.

Yesterday we were in Orangeburg at Broughton Street Cafe and Ice Cream. That’s owner Greg Bennett in the background. 

Professor Tom Cassidy, a colleague from SC State University, stopped by and purchased a copy of my new “Churchyards of Charleston” book as a holiday gift for his wife- maybe I shouldn’t have revealed that!


I bring my older books to my signings. I realized at this one that I can adequately show all five of my books on a small table I have. 






The day before on Saturday in Charleston I used a long table from Second Presbyterian Church for a signing event there. 






This event came about just the day before when church administrator Suzann Lilienthal told me about a preservation Society of Charleston walking tour that included A visit to Second Presbyterian and its graveyard, which is one of the 14 houses of worship featured in my book. 




Many thanks to Suzann for inviting me to display my books on Saturday. I sold several books and met some really interesting people at my table, some visitors and some local residents. 

I will be back at Second Presbyterian Church on Sunday, Nov. 6 for a long planned signing event from 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Suzann helped me set up this event too. 



It was a bonus treat to also meet a fellow camera shutterbug while at this church. Suzann and I were outside talking when Harold Bjork walks up and we chat about Charleston and how the old city is a photographer’s delight. He took this posed picture of us near the entrance to Charleston’s fourth oldest church (1811) that recently underwent a beautiful exterior make over. 

At the end of my signing event my final sale was to a young woman from Chicago who recently graduated from Northwestern University, my graduate school alma mater. She and her friend, also a recent NU graduate, were not part of the Preservation Society tour, but were just visiting Charleston for the weekend and stopped by a church bench to eat some food. 

Such is the serendipitous nature of my events. Meeting interesting people. Doesn’t matter if I make a sale to them! 


No comments: