Thursday, December 2, 2021

Good Eats In Orangeburg!

This being the last week of classes at South Carolina State University I treated myself to my favorite lunch place in Orangeburg. 









That would be the place with the very distinctive sign out front (though the chicken- or is it a rooster- has lost some of its luster since I last dined here pre-pandemic a few years ago.) 

Biddie Banquet is located at 220 John C. Calhoun Dr. not too far off Interstate 26 (if you're passing by).

This is a quaint place that does not seem to have a website. Unusual for the times. So I'm linking what Trip Advisor says about it. 





I first learned of Biddie Banquet three or four years ago when then Charleston Post and Courier food writer Hanna Raskiin included the establishment in a big spread she did about where to find the best fried chicken in South Carolina. 

This is an abbreviated version of her story I found online. It's funny what she says about chicken grease on her camera lens! 




No fancy menu here. It has been like this since I began coming here after seeing Hanna's review. 

The price for a full meal that includes dessert and iced tea used to be, I think, $9. But it is now $10.50 (includes tax). With what the world has been going through since early 2020 I can understand the increase. 

One thing to consider about Biddie Banquet is that guests must pay in cash. Debit and credit cards are not accepted. There is an ATM in the restaurant. 






But look at all the good home cooking food you get for just more than $10. One meat (dark meat fried chicken for me), two vegetables (gravy and rice, and cole slaw), two types of bread, dessert (pear cobbler) and that sweet tea. 

I ate everything and it was all delicious! It was great to dine again at Biddie Banquet!  








A bonus for me was to see the servers, cooks and others not wearing masks. I remarked on this to my server who was masked. She said if you're vaccinated you don't have to wear one here. She volunteered that she is not vaxed as she walked away. Good for you, I thought!  And good for those who are vaxed that they have the freedom to not wear masks at this restaurant. 

Everyone in such positions in the Charleston area (restaurants, grocery stores, retail stores, etc.) seems to be masked and I'm sure many, maybe most, of these workers are vaccinated. 

The federal government has taken away, or is trying to take away, the American citizens' right to choose. But not at Biddie Banquet! 

No comments: