Sunday, December 19, 2021

Wood Stork A Nice Sight to See (Belted Kingfisher Too)

 

Since Hooded Mergansers came to my backyard pond a week ago I’ve been checking on them a few times a day. They are still here and the “Hoodie” pond population has been at 13 for a few days.

Another nice surprise was a couple days ago when I went out for my morning check and found a Wood Stork had joined the party on the pond!




Over the years I have seen Wood Storks at other golf course ponds in my neighborhood. This may be only the second time I have spotted one in “my” pond. 

It seemed to find some good eating in shallow water along the far bank (above). 

I have seen these Storks elsewhere in the Lowcountry. Here are a couple links that show other Wood Stork encounters: Magnolia Cemetery and in the ACE Basin


The Stork had plenty of feathered company during the visit. In this photo there’s a Great Egret (left) and a White Ibis (Middle) with its trademark long curved orange bill. 

The Wood Stork was here for at least a few hours from my observation. I was looking at it when it flew away to points unknown. 

Maybe it will return soon. Hope so! 



The word must have gotten out in Hooded Merganser world that this pond is a good place to spend some time, maybe all winter. That would be nice. 






In a week the number here has grown from five to 13. See my post last week for more on this adorable migratory bird from up north. 








Two male Hoodies (above) and two females (below)


The statuesque Great Heron always takes a good picture. 



This morning I had another good encounter. This time I was able to get a few shots of the elusive Belted Kingfisher. This bird has been hanging around the pond for a while now. When I went out I spotted it on this sign. So I quickly went to get my camera and monopod and was grateful that the Kingfisher hadn't moved. 
Here are some previous posts featuring this colorful character with the loud cackle. 


Today I was also finally able to photograph a Snowy Egret. i have been seeing one for days now. Below the Snowy is with a Little Blue Heron.



Great to see this Wood Stork! Don’t be a stranger! 

Wood Storks will always have a special place in my heart. This, after all, was the bird type that first got me interested in birding. And would be on the cover of my first book, "The Birds of Magnolia Cemetery: Charleston's Secret Bird Sanctuary." 

No comments: