Sunday, December 12, 2021

“Hoodies” Back in the ‘Hood!

 A favorite migratory bird has been in my (the golf course actually owns it) backyard pond for almost a week now. These are Hooded Mergansers, “Hoodies” for short. This time of year (or earlier in the fall) they come south from as far away as Canada. Last Monday I counted five, four females and one male- he has the big white patches on his head. The last few days seven have been here more evenly distributed between boys and girls. 


A Little Blue Heron flies by a brace or raft (collective names) of Hooded Mergansers.


Hoodies have come to this pond in the past this time of the year. I first became aware of this unique-looking species years ago at Magnolia Cemetery. They have wintered in the ponds there for years. 




In the background are (right) a Great Egret and three White Ibis. 


Great Egret and Little Blue Heron 


Great Egret in a reflective mood



Little Blue Heron on the prowl


In my backyard the other day I spotted this lovely little Hermit Thrush. I’ve been seeing this type more regularly this year. Last December I posted about the Hermit Thrush and looked into the origins of its name.




No comments: