Wednesday, June 9, 2021

Alligator Comes A Calling!

 

Well this was a first! Living in coastal South Carolina on a golf course with several man-made ponds, including the one that adjoins our backyard, we are used to alligator sightings in the waters, and their comings and goings slithering across yards and streets. 

But Sunday night was a first as far as one coming a little too close for comfort! This youngster came to our front porch. I spotted the reptile through a window around 7 p.m. when going up the stairs by the front door. 

I soon brought in the frog ornaments you see at the top of the steps. Maybe it thought they were real and would be an easy meal? I don’t know how gators think! 



The size indicated to me that this was a juvenile. Looking for mama or other family? 

It didn’t get closer to our porch. It stayed here for a couple hours. And fortunately was gone by the morning. 

Sunday night I shared these images on my neighborhood’s Facebook site called “Coosaw Creek Living.” Within hours fellow residents posted half a dozen recent pictures of what looked like this and other alligators on the move. 

This is part of living where we live. Don’t bother them and they won’t bother you, I say. But do be careful to always keep your doors and garages closed! 


No comments: