Sunday, June 13, 2021

Owl Encounter a Rare Delight

Owls are notoriously nocturnal so spotting and photographing one during broad daylight was special and memorable. It was around 4 p.m. one day last week when I went out my front door and caught a glimpse of a large dark bird flying across the street and landing on a tree near my driveway. I thought it might be a vulture so what a surprise when it turned its face toward me!


It was preening at first with its back to me. When our eyes met and I saw the distinctive round face I quickly went inside to get my camera and invited Alesia to come see too. 

From a few past owl encounters, I figured it would still be there and that I’d be able to get lots of pictures. I was right. 

This is a barred owl. Lately, on local And statewide bird and nature Facebook sites, I’ve seen a number of Barred Owl posts.


I shared my photos on a few of these sites and have received lots of kudos, especially on my neighborhood Facebook. People just love owls! A neighbor, the next day, came to my house with a letter introducing herself, sharing her interest in bird photography, especially owls, and asking me to let her know if/when I see owls in the future. 

This owl let me take all the photos I wanted. 


I took a dozen or more then bid a fond farewell. My next door neighbor said he saw this same owl (most likely) on his backyard fence that same day. Then last night he messaged me at dusk to say two owls were in trees by his house. 

More owl photos to come maybe and hopefully! 



Such a beautiful creature! The eyes are so big and intense. I would hate to be a frog or lizard being stared down by this regal raptor. 

I had another daytime encounter with a Barred Owl several years ago during a nature outing at the Hollings National Wildlife Refuge in the ACE Basin south of Charleston. I remember my friend and I were walking along a wooded trial. We looked up to a distant tree where there was a bird, then looked back ahead on the trail and there was an owl on the ground looking at us, maybe 20-30 yards away. 

A photograph from that day (below) when the barred owl flew up into a nearby tree would grace the cover of my book about my passion and experiences with bird and nature photography. See the image below and this link for more about that book. 



I made a large canvas print of this owl photo. It hangs in our sunroom on a wall above our television. 

I love that the owl is perched regally on its throne of Spanish Moss. 



No comments: