Wednesday, June 30, 2021

More Owls (and a Hawk) Oh My!

 

The morning wasn’t starting well. A certain cat of ours who will go nameless used the small rug in the kitchen for his business best done upstairs in the litter box. So I took the rug out to the front porch and was spraying it with the hose when I heard that distinctive hissing sound. Distinctive because in recent days and nights i have seen and heard Barred Owls making this noise. 

So I look up and what’s looking at me but a Barred Owl up in a tree not far from where I was spraying the rug! 

So I go inside and grab my camera. I’m getting some nice photos of the owl when a second one arrives at the scene. In the below photo you can see the pair. 




The situation became even more exciting when a third Barred owl joined the party! 🦉 🦉 🦉 
I heard a commotion going on across the street. Some small birds were squawking at the third Barred Owl, which proceeded to fly to a tree in my yard. This one (above) moved to a tree at the end of the driveway. Look closely to see it above and to the right of the basketball hoop in the below photo. 
 This was a lot of excitement for 7 o’clock in the morning! A trio of Barred Owl in my front yard at the same time. I’m glad a have these photographs because some people may not believe the story!

As if that wasn’t enough owl fun for one day that evening at dusk I took this picture (above) of a small young Barred Owl. I caught a glimpse of it actually ON my back porch! It then flew off but landed on a nearby tree and I was able to get a nice image of the youngster staring right back at me. 

What’s that you say? This bird is no owl. And you are correct. This juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk was the latest raptor to visit my property. Just yesterday I again heard a loud bird in a tree. I was able to spot a riled Red-winged Blackbird and then nearby I saw the target of its ire. The smaller bird was flying up to the hawk and giving it the business. The hawk soon flew off and landed on a tree in my neighbor’s backyard where I was fortunate to get a couple decent captures. 


What’s up with all the owl and hawk activity? I’m not positive but I think it’s because of all the bird feeders I have. It must be easy pickings and maybe the young raptors are cutting their teeth (so to speak) here. I have not seen any of my feeder birds (or squirrels that are also abundant) become breakfast or dinner for an owl or hawk. And I don’t want to see that either. 








No comments: