Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Northwestern University Birds

During a very pleasant walk around my grad schoool alma mater Northwestern University I encountered a delightful variety of birds.  The flashy yellow one caught my eye and I did my best to capture its image from a pretty good distance.  Peterson Field Guide and Google images helped me identify this beauty as an American Goldfinch. 
It was a nice surprise to see several Red-Winged Blackbirds in a couple places around campus.  Used to see these all the time at the old Kings Grant golf course here in Summerville, S.C.  The males are distinctive by their red and yellow epaulets.  The other bird pictured on the fence I believe to be a female Red-Winged Blackbird.  The females don't have the flashy markings of the male. 


I also enjoyed seeing a number of American Robins.  They are quite busy birds and are approachable, allowing me to get fairly close for my photos. 


No comments: