Friday, February 26, 2016

Backyard Bird Visits on the Rise!

As February slowly turns into March I've been noticing more activity at my backyard bird feeders. It has been fun to see the surge in traffic, and I've been scrambling to keep my buffet well stocked.





This American Goldfinch seemed to harken the spring harbinger. Still in winter plummage this bird offers a preview of the glorious golden yellow to come in a few months.

Glad the sunflower seeds are to your liking pretty boy-- or girl.














The same American Goldfinch giving me a more frontal view. I've had several sightings the last few weeks at my feeders. Be sure to come back when your colors are in full glory. Please!










I photographed this Red-bellied Woodpecker a few weeks ago from my upstairs perch. I can crack open a bathroom window and stealthily poke by lens through, without scaring away the birds (usually).

This pecker's pose (can't resist the alliteration!) is really neat, in that the forked tail is featured. I've photographed this type of bird dozens of times and never captured the tail looking as it does here.

Also, by the curved metal, a blush of red can be seen. The red belly of the Red-bellied Woodpecker is not especially prominent but you can see a bit of it here.


Last weekend the winter doldrums received another flash of color when this House Finch spent some time chowing down at my feeders.

The red coloring was a joy to see and like the American Goldfinch a sign that spring is not too far off!








The beautiful House Finch is an always-welcome guest at my feeders.

















Carolina Chickadee is a mainstay of South Carolina Lowcountry bird feeders. I never take for granted this lovely little bird!











I kind of have a soft spot for the Tufted Titmouse. This after, several years ago, one flew into my glass porch door. I heard a bang so I went outside and saw it dazed on the grass. Suddenly, out of nowhere, swooped in a a hawk, plucking up the bird in its talons, then taking it to a nearby branch where it devoured the poor thing.



South Carolina's feisty and fiery state bird is the Carolina Wren.

I continue to turn to Whatbird.com as my go-to site for identifying birds and reading descriptions. If you ever photograph a bird, or even have a good description of one, Whatbird's community forum for identifying birds is excellent, fast and accurate. Fellow bird lovers are always happy to share expertise and knowledge.





Chipping Sparrow- lots of these having been coming around lately.








Since my post a few days ago, I've photographed more American Goldfinch. Hope they come back when they shed their winter plumage for summer splendor! 





Northern Mockingbird at the bird bath












This Yellow-rumped Warbler was a nice find!
I have also seen the Yellow-throated Warbler but have yet to get a good shot of one.














White-breasted Nuthatch likes the Bark Butter from Wild Birds Unlimited. I go to the one in Mount Pleasant! 









Always stunning- the Northern Cardinal!












Downy Woodpecker at the Bark Butter feeder











Chipping Sparrow portraits.
More pix to come, hopefully! I'm especially looking for that Yellow-throated Warbler!

Updated: Friday, March 11, 2016






Yay!!! I finally got a decent shot of a Yellow-throated Warbler at my feeders!











Yellow-rumped Warbler (see why it's called that?!) with a female Brown-headed Cowbird











Here's the male Brown-headed Cowbird

No comments: