Monday, June 13, 2022

New "Churchyards of Charleston" Book at the Printer!


I am excited to announce that I will soon be publishing a new book! It is titled "Stories from the Underground: The Churchyards of Charleston." 

Like my 2014 "In the Arms of Angels: Magnolia Cemetery- Charleston's Treasure of History, Mystery and Artistry," this new book is large format and full color. It is 8.5 by 11 inches in size and 228 pages. 

In it, I examine Charleston's rich, diverse and interesting history through the prism of its old churches (and one synagogue) and their burial grounds. 

Below is the book's dust jacket design: 


Printing my book will be the Charleston-area firm Palmetto Publishing. This will be my second book printed by this company. Last summer, I had Palmetto Publishing print additional copies of my "In the Arms of Angels" Magnolia Cemetery book. 

Please contact me if you are interested in acquiring my new "Churchyards of Charleston." My email is birdseyeviewspublications@gmail.com. I will post updates in the weeks ahead as the release date approaches. for more details on what the book is about, click here.  

Here is what is written on the back cover by three Charleston historians, authors and fellow taphophiles who have read the book. 

"Just when I thought I knew it all, Patrick Harwood’s 'Stories from the Underground' taught me so much more. Much good information for the seasoned taphophile as well as the 'newby' cemetery explorer.  --Pamela Durkin Gabriel, author and historian 

"Patrick Harwood is a born storyteller, and his tales of the dead confirm it. This book is not just a tour de force of Charleston’s churches, churchyards and cemeteries, but a tour through time as well, with stories of funerary history, customs and design. It’s hard to imagine a more enthusiastic or dedicated guide; and the lavish images are not only compelling – but may very well propel readers to visit these sites themselves. I know I will!  --Harlan Greene, Scholar in Residence and author, Addlestone Library, College of Charleston.

"Thank you to Patrick Harwood for gathering together, in one volume, Charleston’s valuable collection of burial grounds. 'Stories from the Underground' serves as an invitation to explore the surface world of funerary art, while helping to unearth countless stories of the souls who lie below. --Ruth M. Miller, Lowcountry historian, author and speaker

No comments: