Monday, December 12, 2016

Book Signing Blitz A Blast!

Whew! The past few weeks have been busy and intense! Final classes, exams and grading at South Carolina State and College of Charleston, plus five book signings since Nov. 19 that ended yesterday at the Barnes and Noble in North Charleston.

Yesterday's B and N stop was a fitting end to my book signing blitz.

Four other Charleston authors participated in the afternoon event. I enjoyed seeing these old friends and making a new one.

From left we have: cookbook author extraordinaire Nathalie Dupree, novelist Melissa Wiggins (aka M. Susanne Wiggins), history and religion writer Skip Johnson and Holly Herrick, also an accomplished cookbook author.





Thanks to Kristen Poplin at Barnes and Noble for setting up this Charleston Author Signing and for the first class set up for us.

I also greatly enjoyed the complimentary frappuccino!

My new "Bird Photography From A to Z" was well received here. My "In the Arms of Angels" Magnolia Cemetery book continues to be popular. One lady bought one, then came back an hour or so later and bought two more for holiday gifts!







Swift Books in Orangeburg was a fun signing on Friday, Dec. 9. Store manager Miranda Hunt set me up at the entrance to the antique mall that Swift Books is part of. She had hot apple cider, cookies and candy canes for me to offer customers.

I met a fellow bird enthusiast who turned me on to the eBird mobile app for sharing bird sightings around the country and world too I'm guessing.

Five Rivers Market at 950 Chestnut St. in Orangeburg is a favorite place of mine. Sadly, the restaurant there recently closed, but Miranda says she expects 2017 will bring a new eatery to the location.


At Five Rivers Market, I found this really cute cat Christmas decoration. Had to have it!

It's now in front of the fireplace with our other decorations.

Lots of old charming goods and other merchandise for sale here. Come check it out in Orangeburg!







The Orangeburg Times and Democrat gave my new book and Swift Books appearance some nice exposure the day before.

Lee Harter, the paper's editor, dropped by my signing. It was great to meet him and to discuss ideas for getting SC State students more involved with  his newspaper.







In North Charleston on Dec. 4, my book signing at Mr. K's Used Books near Tanger Outlet Mall was more good times.

Thanks to Jon Pargas and his staff for the opportunity and the publicity!







I previously posted about my "Black Friday" day- after-Thanksgiving signing at the Mount Pleasant Wild Birds Unlimited.

In a way I considered this the official launch of my new "Bird Photography From A to Z" book.

The event went great. Many thanks to owner Danielle Motley and  my wife Alesia who ably handled the transactions.  Channel 4's Victoria Hansen brightened the day too with her visit! (pictured).
For more on the Wild Birds Unlimited happening, go here. 


My first signing of "the season" (my new book initiative) was held on the College of Charleston's beautiful and historic Cistern Yard as part of an alumni weekend on Nov. 19.

CofC grad and now CNN Washington D.C. digital producer Caroline Kenny (@carolinerkenney) made my day by stopping by for a chat. It's always great to hear from former students, especially those who are doing so well in their careers!

That's the latest from the book signing tour. I may try to get in another event or two before Christmas!

The Summerville Journal Scene ran this nice piece in advance of my local book signings.






No comments: