Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Old Charleston Church an Exciting New Find!

Charleston is known as the Holy City for good reason. Look at the skyline and several tall church steeples can be seen.

From its 17th century inception, Charleston has been very religiously tolerant. Only a small number of people were needed to form a church.  Today, the city benefits from this benevolence with a treasure trove of churches of many faiths.

I maintain a separate blog for my College of Charleston First Year Experience course, "Beyond the Grave: What Old Cemeteries Tell and Teach the Living." I want to share two recent posts from my Charleston Beyond the Grave blog that deal with Charleston's religious richness.
St. Mary's is on Huger Street near King Street


This past Sunday Alesia and I attended Mass at St. Mary's Catholic Church in the Holy City. Gorgeous inside, St. Mary's also has a lovely, historic and interesting graveyard that wraps around the building.

Here's my post from this enlightening experience!






Another treasure trove, this one of historic information, is Ruth Miller who has spoken twice now to my "Beyond the Grave" class. She is a longtime Charleston historian and tour guide. In this post I wrote, learn (as I did) of Charleston's many religious firsts and distinctions.
Ruth Miller and yours truly after her fall semester talk (photo by Megan Wright) 


No comments: