Friday, July 26, 2019

Robert E. Lee III Piece

For several years I have subscribed to the magazine Civil War Times. I have been a Civil War buff since I was a kid. The new issue of the magazine came to my house the other day and I was thrilled to see my letter to the editor in it. I had submitted it months ago and had forgotten about it.

The story I share in the letter is from my “In the Arms of Angels” Magnolia Cemetery book that I published in 2014. I’ll always remember stopping in my tracks upon seeing the name Robert E. Lee III inscribed at the base of this very lovely gravesite. The writing on the monument says how he was the grandson of the great Confederate “chieftain.”



I look forward to diving more into this issue that has a cover story about the Union general who surrendered Fort Sumter in April 1861 and a feature about the building of the Lincoln Memorial In Washington. 



No comments: