Thursday, October 15, 2020

American Redstart a Startling Backyard Discovery!

 

It is rare these days when a bird comes to my backyard feeders that I do not recognize. But in recent weeks a visitor has had me doing double takes. And triple takes. (See story update below!)

What is with the yellow feathers at the end of this bird? I thought they were at the tip of its wings. Now I know these are yellow tail feathers. 

Now I know this is an American Redstart, a “New World Warbler” according to Wikipedia (OK maybe not the best source for ornithology). 

Curious name for this yellow-tinged bird. Redstart. Well, the name comes more from the male version  that has a “Halloween-themed color scheme,” as described by the Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Whatbird.com has many interesting tidbits about the American Redstart, including the name origins. "They are unrelated to the Old World redstarts," says Whatbird.com, "but get their name from the male's red tail, start being an old name for tail." 

This site also says how the American Redstart is known as the "butterfly of the bird world" because of its quick fluttering motions (I've observed that) and the bright orange color on the (male's) wings and tail." Less flattering, according to Whatbird.com, is that in the tropics the Redstart is known as a "latrine bird" because of its tendency to look for flies around outhouses and garbage dumps. 

So far, this is only photograph I have captured of an American Redstart. The above being the female of the species. The experts on the Whatbird.com bird identification forum gave the surprising (to me) name of this backyard stranger. But I am thrilled to add a new first-time feathered friend (we birders call them “lifers”) to my long list. 

I fear I took too long to get to my back porch, camera in hand. I first noticed the distinctive yellow tail feathers a few weeks ago. Lady American Redbird is just passing through on her migration south no doubt. 

On my back porch as I am writing this post two days after getting this sub-standard photo (but at least I got something), my bird-dar (bird radar) is highly tuned and my trusty Canon camera is at the ready inches away from my right hand. Should a Redstart come back I’ll be ready. 

And I kid you not as I wrote that last paragraph I glanced up at the birdbath just a few feet away from my feet, a female American Restart was perched at the bath looking right at me! When our eyes met, off she flew! Wow, what a surreal moment! 

I will be looking for you again in the days ahead. Please come back. And bring a fellow with you. 

Friday, October 16 Update

Yes! The Redstart actually came back to my bird bath and this time she let me snap a few pictures. 

I had been on the porch for a while and was close to giving up when suddenly there she was! I quickly took four or five shots, quickly focusing on the lip of the bath. 

So pleased to get a few decent captures. I’ll stake out in the days ahead should Redstarts return. 

Maybe a male will appear before my lens. 






And I do think Mr. American Redstart may be around. I did get this capture the day I got the female shown at the start of this post. I now suspect this photo (left) of a bird in the very back of my yard is the orange/red male Redstart. A birder friend supports this too. 





No comments: