Sunday, December 12, 2010

Yellow-Rumped Warbler and Killdeer

YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERI came across two "strangers" during my latest visit to Magnolia Cemetery. I say strangers because I hadn't seen these two species before. I took some pictures of them and later at home was thrilled to discover their identities using a couple of my bird books.
                                                      
The yellow caught my eye on this small bird that was bursting from branch to branch. I had to laugh when I later discovered its unusual name: Yellow-Rumped Warbler.
I was glad to get a photo that clearly shows the yellow rump of the Yellow-Rumped Warbler!
I'll be looking for this Warbler next time I'm back at the cemetery.  For more info, check out what WhatBird.com says about it at: http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/154/_/Yellow-rumped_Warbler.aspx
KILLDEER
I came across another striking but unfamiliar bird during this same outing.  It looked like the type of bird that frequents our local beaches but what was it doing so far inland? This time of year (December) you expect to see some visitors due to migratation.  But we've also had some very cold weather in recent weeks, so maybe some local birds are confused and not sure where they should be now.

In the Plover family, the Killdeer is recognizable for the pair of dark bands around its neck area.  Its very large eyes stand out too. 
 The unusual name- Killdeer- comes from the bird's call that sounds like "kill- dee" or "kill-deer"- go to What Bird.com, play its call, and see if you agree! http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/101/_/Killdeer.aspx
Killdeers and Yellow-Rumped Warblers-- glad to make some new birding discoveries.  More to come this winter, hopefully!

No comments: